Re: Compilers make a system less secure?

Hi :)

Maybe some people tend to think installing a compiler is giving an intruder the possibility to compile his own code. Personally I think, that this thought is one step too late for securing a system.
If an intruder already has compromised the system it has been proven that the system is insecure.
I think not installing a compiler is limiting damage done by an intruder, but not making a system more secure.

just my 2 cents
George

On 02 May 2006 16:21:41 +1200, josh <pkplex_(_at_)_orcon_(_dot_)_net_(_dot_)_nz> wrote:
> Hello...
>
> Some people seem to think that installing a compiler inherently makes
> their system less secure... despite never being able to cite any actual
> reasons why.
>
> Personally, I really dont see how a compiler is going to lessen
> security, particuarly when they are used to patch the system, But I was
> wondering what people here thought?
>

> Josh

Visit your host, monkey.org