Re: Set up root partition as read only.

On Friday 14 April 2006 22:17, you wrote:
>To increase the security level of my OpenBSD system I have defined at
>/etc/fstab that the root partition should be read only.

That won't increase your security level much, but if you really want to
make / read-only, there is more involved. (I recently did this on a
machine with a flash drive instead of a standard hard drive in order to
save wear on the flash.) To start with, read and understand /etc/rc and
mfs(8). Convert /dev and /var to be on memory file systems (pay
attention to -P in mfs(8)). Then edit /etc/rc and comment out the lines
that mount /, /usr, and /var, and the lines that
rewrite /etc/resolv.conf.

If you need more information than this, Google is your friend. I also
have a more detailed HOWTO-style document that i wrote that i would be
willing to share off-list, though you might learn more if you do your
own research instead.