Re: Questions about 3.9 Installation on External USB Disk

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 01:58:32PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> I got my 3.9 Cdrom set yesterday and today started installing
> it on an external usb disk so as not to wipe out my existing
> 3.8 setup. When I got to the disk partition, I erased the existing
> 'a' partition (dos) and created a new bsd 'a' partition. The partition
> had a default offset of 32 which looked odd to me, so I changed
> it to 64 and sized it to 1G. Then I created a 'b' partition. Again,
> the default offset was 32. That looked even odder to me, so
> I aborted the installation. A dmesg of the 3.8 boot (with external
> usb drive attached) follows at the end of this post.
>
> So is it possible to install 3.9 on an external usb drive and then to
> boot from that drive? Is the default 32 offset for a and b partitions
> on the usb drive correct? (I don't think so, but I am asking anyways
> since I have not used usb hard drives with OpenBSD before).

I don't know if the offset is correct - though I presume it is - but
disklabel will always try to put new slices at the lowest unused
address, so the question about the second diskslice is as it should be.

I don't think I've ever seen or owned a machine that could boot off an
external USB drive, but I'm sure they exist and assume that you know
what you are doing. ;-)

		Joachim