problem fsckin' a usb disk on boot

Hi

I know I'm supposed to attach a full dmesg, but
hopefully I can get an answer with the limited amount
I am including.  Setting up a serial console is not
the easiest in this case....  my server *quit* before
the holidays, and I just left it as is until today.
Apparently my usb hard disk is acting up.

on boot:
umass0 at uhub4 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Maxtor OneTouch II, rev 2.00/2.03, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <Maxtor, OneTouch II,
023g> SCSI4 0/direct fixed
sd0: 286188MB, 286188 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512
bytes/sec, 586114704 sec total
dkcsum: wd0 matches BIOS drive 0x80
dkcsum: wd1 matches BIOS drive 0x81
dkcsum: wd2 matches BIOS drive 0x82
dkcsum: wd3 matches BIOS drive 0x83
dkcsum: sd0 matches BIOS drive 0x84
root on wd0a
rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302
Automatic boot in progress: starting file system
checks.
/dev/rwd0a: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rwd2a: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rwd3a: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rwd0h: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rwd1a: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rwd0d: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rwd0g: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rwd0e: file system is clean; not checking
/dev/rwd0i: file system is clean; not checking
sd0(umass0:1:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on
opcode 0x28
    SENSE KEY: Illegal Request
     ASC/ASCQ: Illegal Field in CDB
CANNOT READ: BLK 1654016
/dev/rsd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs
MANUALLY.
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED
INCONISISTENCY:
        ffs: /dev/rsd0a (/mnt/share)
Automatic file system check failed; help!
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

then, when I press RETURN and attempt to

# fsck_ffs /dev/rsd0a
** /dev/rsd0a
cannot alloc 36537985 bytes for typemap
#

while dmesg also says I have:

real mem  = 1072472064 (1047336K)
avail mem = 972025756 (949244K)

I'm running a "current" compiled from src from back
Nov 25.  No hardware or software changed prompting it
to quit, I'd just prefer to get it to complete booting
without losing information on that drive if possible.
Rebooting, and power cycling the USB drive doesn't
seem to help, still stops at same place, and still
same error when attempting to do manual fsck as
described above.  Am I running fsck incorrectly?  I
read the man page and I can't seem to see anything I'm
doing wrong...

Any help much appreciated.  sorry if it's a simple
one!
thanks
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com