Re: Blowfish still good enough?

On Monday 30 January 2006 00:22, veins wrote:
> Travers Buda wrote:
> >[...]
> >No known weaknesses exist in Blowfish, but that 64 bit block scares
> > me. [...]
>
> Can you explain why it scares you ? I am not a cryptographer but I
> see no reason why a cipher using
> 64 bit block size is scary, all of the attacks I can think of that
> are tied to the block size are still not
> practicable with a 64 bit block size (either they require too much
> memory, too much time or too much
> information). Maybe I am not thinking of something obvious, so please
> correct me if i'm wrong.

> Blowfish has also been scrutinized and analyzed (and for a longer
> time than both Rijndael and Twofish), it
> has proven to be strong and resistant, as well as efficient for most
> needs. Also Rijndael being the standart
> doesn't mean that it is the safest choice at all (not that i'm saying
> its bad, im not a cryptographer), and
> well Twofish sounds cool but why switch from a working solution to
> another one, when there's no real need
> for that time and effort consuming change ?

Yes, this entire thread may be moot. Why fix it if it ain't broken?
Well, we may not know that it is broken. We can only use our best
judgement--a matter of opinion sometimes. Ack.

Bruce Schneier designed Blowfish.
Bruce Schneier designed Twofish to be a sucessor to Blowfish.

> Blowfish has also been scrutinized and analyzed (and for a longer
> time than both Rijndael and Twofish)

Blowfish may be older, but I think that Twofish has been analyzed more
than Blowfish due to the NIST competition a few years back.

> well Twofish sounds cool but why switch from a working solution to
> another one, when there's no real need
> for that time and effort consuming change ?

I agree, Blowfish is just fine in some applications. I don't know if
it's universal though. OpenBSD uses it almost universally.

I'm not saying OpenBSD should use Twofish. I'm asking wherether or not
OpenBSD should use Twofish.

Sweet dreams,  veins

Travers

Visit your host, monkey.org