Re: removing old files - /usr grows with each release

> according to http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SpaceNeeded 250 MB for
> /usr is sufficient, in case X isn't installed on an OpenBSD system. My
> /usr partition (located on a 512 MB CompactFlash drive) recently has
> reached its limits after living through multiple releases (3.4 - 3.8).

I've been there, too, before.

> At least in /usr/lib, there seem to be some directories, which
> exclusively contain files from older releases, namely
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-openbsd[release number]. Is it save to

Are you sure you need Compiler supporting files etc. on a
machine with a CF card ? Especially compiler directories
from older releases ? (probably not)

> remove them after upgrading to a newer release? The content of
> /usr/libdata seems to be growing with each release, too. Which
> directories/files may be removed from /usr without risking too much?

in /usr/libdata, perl is the culprit (Check /usr/libdata/perl5/i386-openbsd )
If, and only if you don't have any 3rd part perl scripts, you
can think about cleaning up there. Well, probably most 3rd party
perl scripts will work anyways (but test that !)

Also, if you really have compXX.tgz installed, you most likely
can remove old versions of all static libraries in /usr/lib/

Visit your host, monkey.org