man init

Helllo,

I am trying to figure out why my system (3.7) comes up in single user
mode, so I am working my way through the man pages.

man init:

  The init program is the last stage of the boot process.  It
  normally runs the automatic reboot sequence as described in
  reboot(8), and if this succeeds, begins multi-user operation.
  If the reboot scripts fail, init commences single-user operation
  by giving the superuser a shell on the console.

Could somebody explain to me why init is calling reboot and how reboot
can succeed without actually rebooting the system?

--
Leo Baltus
Good judgement comes with experience. Experience usually comes