pxeboot halting...

Hello list, help for the following problem would be greatly appreciated, it's so frustrating.

Trying to pxeboot 3.7 on an EPIA machine with what Linux is reporting to be a "Centaur VIA Samuel 2 stepping 03" processor. The server is a mac with os 10.4, here is the /etc/dhcpd.conf:

allow booting;
allow bootp;
ddns-update-style none;
shared-network LOCAL-NET {
        subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
                option routers 192.168.1.88;
                option root-path "/tftpboot";
                filename "pxeboot";
                range 192.168.1.32 192.168.1.52;
                default-lease-time 86400;
                max-lease-time 90000;
        }
}

The directory /tftpboot has the files pxeboot and bsd.rd and tftpd has been verified to transfer files correctly. The EPIA machine is pushed the pxeboot file and the usual prompt appears, so I type bsd.rd and the spinning pipe character stays vertical and doesn'r move.
after a wait of around 1 minute the number "4302596" appears, about a 30 second wait then the following text appears:

 read text: Unknown error: code 60
failed(60). will try /bsd.old

Perhaps I should copy the file bsd.old into the tftpboot directory but I cannot find such a file.

Can anyone help me, I have attempted googling but not found much,
Any solution and I promise to submit my dmesg! - what an incentive :(

thanks in advance

poncenby

Visit your host, monkey.org