[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: tar(1) problem with long file names.
- To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Re: tar(1) problem with long file names.
- From: naddy_(_at_)_mips_(_dot_)_inka_(_dot_)_de (Christian Weisgerber)
- Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:46:10 +0000 (UTC)
- Newsgroups: list.openbsd.misc
Jay Fenlason <hack_(_at_)_nerd-marrow_(_dot_)_com> wrote:
> GNU tar uses a variety of ugly hacks to get around the 100 (original
> tar) or 255 (ustar) character limit in file and path names.
> Unfortunatly, only gnu tar can correctly extract such archives.
Well, there are at least two independent implementations that can
extract this format (star and FreeBSD's new libarchive-based tar),
but yes, it is in questionable taste.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy_(_at_)_mips_(_dot_)_inka_(_dot_)_de