umts & mtu

Hi,

I am working on an UMTS (via ppp) connection. This connection seems to have a very small mtu namely 480 bytes. If found this out using different sizes when pinging. To accomodate vor this I have added a scrub rule to pf.conf:

scrub out on tun0 all fragment reassemble max-mss 472

in ppp.conf

I have added:
       set mtu max 472
       set mru max 472

Still I am unable to do any webbrowsing or ssh to the outside. Does someone have experience with these kind of connections? Isn't the mtu a bit too small?

Kind regards,

Bolke