newsyslog running twice with $W1DO5 as when field <- with solution

Well since I wrote it all down below I think I know what happened.
Maybe this will help someone else as dumb as me someday.

I think the problem is that I also have ntpdate scheduled at 5am... so
the one second adjustment must have caused cron to run the newsyslog
again.  (the entries below show the second running one second earlier
than the first)

Curse this adled brain

I guess the moral of the story is to not have your time update near
another cron job...

Bill

It's not a question of if I am doing something wrong, its what...

On 3.7:

I changed my /var/log/maillog rotation to use $W1D05 which according to
everthing I read, should mean Every week on Monday at 05:00.  Which
works great.  Wonderful.

Except for the entries I changed to that run twice right after each
other.

After the first time it ran I had this:

-rw-------  1 root  wheel  473930 Aug 15 15:41 /var/log/maillog
-rw-------  1 root  wheel     102 Aug 15 05:00 /var/log/maillog.0.gz
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  452207 Aug 15 05:00 /var/log/maillog.1.gz

The maillog.0.gz log only contains this:
Aug 15 05:00:02 ironman newsyslog[29992]: logfile turned over
Aug 15 05:00:01 ironman newsyslog[3362]: logfile turned over

The other ones that were affected by this also seemed to have the two
different PID's when they were run, which leads me to think that two
instances of newsyslog were run for some reason...

I rescheduled one of my "problem entries" to run by itself at $W1D16
and it ran fine, as expected.  Since it has resolution to the hour
mark, I have to wait to have my next test of two at the same time run.

Has anyone seen this problem?  It only occurs on the ones that I did as
$W1D05 and I definatly only have one entry for it in cron...

----
Explosivo Internet Technologies Group
http://www.Explosivo.com
Hosting, Web Development, E-Commerce solutions and more

If you have received this e-mail in error, please ignore and delete

Visit your host, monkey.org