Re: Major Surprise with xdm on 3.7

On Thursday 11 August 2005 13:25, you wrote:
> On Thursday 11 August 2005 11:59, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > * Dave Feustel <dfeustel_(_at_)_verizon_(_dot_)_net> [2005-08-11 18:57]:
> > > I just discovered that even though xdm is running,
> > > terminals C[0-3] are running in character mode
> > > ie. if, while logged in via xdm, I enter ctl-alt-F[0-3],
> > > I get a tty login!!!
> >
> > eh, yes, of course.
>
> This may be obvious to you, but it is not to me.
>
> > > And if, alfter logging in to one of those tty screens,
> > > I atempt to start KDE, I am informed that I can't
> > > because the x server is already running.
> >
> > because it is already running?
>
> But I ran KDE by manually starting it for a long time.
> What is the point of a graphical login for only one user?
> I expected that when I enabled xdm, more than one
> user could login and run kde (I.e 4  copies of kde could
> be run simultaneously on my computer, 1 each at C0-C3.
> I clearly have misapprehended something wrt graphical
> login. What am I missing here?
[snip]

We all have our own expectations and experiences, but this was exactly
what I expected, the first time I ran KDE from via xdm.

I now have all three worlds to use: 1) I have several consoles in text
mode, 2) I have the kde world (kmail is what I use), 3) I can bring up
a console terminal program, 4) I can run X programs.

I see this as a great thing, myself.

--STeve Andre'

Visit your host, monkey.org