OPENBSD SOCIOLOGICAL SURVEY.

OpenBSD developer survey.

Sorry for using this mailing list but we are a team of researchers from the ENST (the engineering school of telecommunication of Paris), and we are doing a sociological survey on OpenBSD in order to better understand the community.
After a qualitative study and several interviews with French developers, we want to extend this study to the whole community by sending a questionnaire.
Answering to the following questionnaire will take about 15 minutes and will be very helpful to us.

Results of this survey will be treated on a statistical basis, so they will remain anonymous. They will be published on a free accessible website as soon as they are ready.

If you have any questions or remarks, please contact us, vicente_(_at_)_enst_(_dot_)_fr, auray_(_at_)_enst_(_dot_)_fr_(_dot_)_

I. Joining the project.

1. How long have you been using an OpenBSD system? (Yy/mm)

2. How long ago did you first install an OpenBSD system? (Yy/mm)

3. In which circumstances? (one answer, put ( x ) in front your answers)
).

- Professional relations.
- Friend relations
- During scholarship
- Other .............

4. Why OpenBSD instead of another Open Source distribution? ( max two answers).

- Technical aspect.
- Organisation aspect.
- Relationship between contributors.
- Relationship with users.
- Reputation of the project.
- Other ..............

If one of your activities in Open BSD is as a porter (Otherwise go to 9.)

5. What was the name of the first package you have ported into OpenBSD?

6. Was it a package from software that you developed before?  (Y/N)

7. Was it a package from software you used?  (Y/N)

8. Do you still maintain the same package today? (Y/N)

9. If you are (or you have been) an official committer (Otherwise go to 13).

How long was the period between your first contact with an OpenBSD committer and your official admission as an official committer?

Less than a month. between one month and two months, between two months and four months, between four months and six months. Between six months and a year. Between a year and two years. More than two years

10. How many posts did you send in an OpenBSD discussion lists during the period between your first contact with a committer and your official admission as a committer?

0,
0-5,
5-20
20-50
50-100
100 and more.

11. How many private mails did you exchange with OpenBSD developers during the period between your first contact with a committer and your official admission as a committer?

0,
0-5.
5-10.
10-20.
20-50
50and more.

12. How many IRC sessions did you have during the period between your first contact with a committer and your official admission as a committer?

0,
0-5.
5-10.
10-20.
20-50
50and more.

13. Which kind of contacts do you have today with the person who first committed your package? (one answer)

-we haven't contacts anymore
-like with other developer
-privileged adviser
-we regularly meet.

II.Current situation.

14.Do you use OpenBSD at work (in a professional context)? y/n

15.If yes, is it:

-a base release (OPENBSD_X_Y_BASE).
-a stable release (OPENBSD_X_Y).
-a current cvs (tag HEAD).

16.Do you use OpenBSD at home (in a private/family context)? y/n

17.If yes, is it:

-a base release (OPENBSD_X_Y_BASE).
-a stable release (OPENBSD_X_Y).
-a current cvs (tag HEAD).

18. Except yours, how many OpenBSD distributions did you installed to convert other users?

19. How do you divide up our time for the following activities in OpenBSD ? (Percentage)

-Code writing
-Porting software.
-Porting architectures.
-Audit.
-Web page.
-Translation.
-Documentation.

20. What does involvement in OpenBSD mean to you?
(Choose 3 answers among the following and rank them from the most important to the least)

-A leisure activity
-A way to inproved my computer skills.
-A friendly community.
-A political involvement.
-A tool for working.
-A place for fun.
-A place where I develop my own personality.

21. How much time do you dedicate to OpenBSD, in an average week ?

0-1.
1-2.
2-5.
5-8.
8-10.
10-15.
15-20.
20-30.
30-50.
more than 50.

22. How much time do you spend on helping users?

0-1.
1-2.
2-5.
5-8.
8-10.
10-15.
15-20.
more than 20.

23.How often do you dedicate your time on helping users?

Every day,
Three times a week
Two times a week
Each week
Less than each week.

24. What is the percentage of time of your whole contribution you spend

-at home.                        %
-at my place of work.            %

25. Do you contribute to another OpenBSD project? (y/n)

Which ones?

OpenSSH,
OpenBGPD.
OpenNTPD.
OpenCVS.

For how long? (yy/mm)

26. Do you contribute to an open source project other than Open BSD? (y/n)

Which one ?

27. What is the main difference between this project and OpenBSD ?

-Technical aspect.
-Organisation aspect.
-Relationship between contributors.
-Relationship with users.
-It is not already integrated into OpenBSD.

28. Do you contribute to open source as part of your professional activity? (y/n)

29. Have you ever taken part in OpenBSD real life meetings? (y/n)

Which ones ?

III. General information.

30. What is your qualification?

A-level
B.A
M.S
PhD.

31. Is it in computer science? (Y/N).

32. What is your professional situation, in which kind of organisation do you work?

-Working for my own company.
-Working for another company in private sector.
-Working for public sector.

33. Do you belong to a FreeSoftware defence association? Y/N

34. Are you also involved in other activities?

Sport
Cultural
Politics

35. What is your age?

16-18
18-25
25-30
30-40
40-50
more than 50.

36. What is your family situation?

Single.
Couple
Couple with children

37. From which country are you from?

38.Do you plan to participate to the meeting "What the hack" this summer in Liempde?

39. If yes would you accept to spend one hour during this meeting, to realise an interview with one of our researcher?

40. Your name. (The answer and your name will not be used for other purposes than statistic)

Thank you very much for your participation.

Please send me this mail back to vicente_(_at_)_enst_(_dot_)_fr