Re: getting dhclient to update bind forwarders IPs

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 02:02:11PM +0200, Raphakl Berbain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a box running bind as a cache+forwarder setup.  It connects to
> the ISP through DHCP.  When dhclient kicks in, it fetches the
> ISP-provided DNS IPs and by default puts those in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Instead of that, I'd like /etc/resolv.conf to point to localhost.
> I'd also like dhclient to tell bind to use the DNS IPs it got by dhcp
> as forwarders.  I can think of several ways to keep /etc/resolv.conf
> pointing to localhost, but I can't find a way to have dhclient update
> bind's idea of forwarders IPs.

use a supersede directive for domain-name-servers in dhclient.conf like:

  interface "xl0" {
  	supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
  }

and don't worry about setting up bind to forward to your ISP--in my
experience it causes more harm than good.

-j

--
"Lois: Peter, what did you promise me last night?
 Peter: That I wouldn't drink at the stag party.