Re: mm bug in openbsd?

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 12:29, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 02:26:51PM +0200, OwenBSD wrote:
> >> I.e. fixed in 3.7 and current.
> >
> >...and where is the advistory? errata? fix for 3.5 / 3.6? :)
>
> I'm not Ms. OpenBSD. I guess actual exploitation isn't that imminent.
> But OTOH I'd guess that the diff could be easily backported, so feel
> free to do it.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Hannah.

The larger issue here is that the developers fixed something.  It
was a bug.

If anyone can show an exploit for this I'm sure everyone would be
most interested to see it.

Should OpenBSD advisories is issued for every bug out there?  I
hardly think so.  If that happened the developers would be spending
half their time backporting, hurting useful development.  If anyone
doubts this, subscribe to the CVS changes mailing list and you will
see the improvements being made at the atomic level.

Me, I trust the developers to spot a bug that has serious consequences
and announce it as such.  Running around worrying every time someone
on the net proclaims a bug doesn't seem very useful to me.

But as Hannah said, you can always backport this yourself.  Thats the
beauty of open source stuff.

--STeve Andre'