From: owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org [mailto:owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org] On Behalf Of
Eric LeBlanc
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 9:34 PM
To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: [ DHCP ] must reboot to works.

Hello,

I don't know if it's OpenBSD related or not, but I will try:

Sometimes, my ISP (Videotron) seems to have some problems with their DHCPD
servers.  In fact, whey the problem arise, I lost the connection to the
internet.  So, I stopped my dhcpcd client, and restarted it.  After, when
I try to ping www.google.com, it's does'nt work, but I can ping the next
router, or gateway if you prefer (showed in netstat -nr.  If my IP is
x.x.x.234, the router is x.x.x.1 ).  I tried several time to have the
Internet by killing the dhcpcd client, without success.  In fact, I can
even ping others PC in the same local network of Videotron.

So, I rebooted the openbsd server, and now, I can ping www.google.com
(or other computer on the Internet).  The strange thing is that I have the
the _same_ ip adress and the _same_ router before the reboot.. It happened
three time, and I don't really know why I must reboot... Note that I use
modemcable with the modem Samsung.

So why the reboot is needed to obtain the 'real' connection to the
internet?

E.
--
Eric LeBlanc