From: owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org [mailto:owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org] On Behalf Of
Eric LeBlanc
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 9:34 PM
To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: [ DHCP ] must reboot to works.

I don't know if it's OpenBSD related or not, but I will try:

Sometimes, my ISP (Videotron) seems to have some problems with their DHCPD
servers.  In fact, whey the problem arise, I lost the connection to the
internet.  So, I stopped my dhcpcd client, and restarted it.  After, when
I try to ping www.google.com, it's does'nt work, but I can ping the next
router, or gateway if you prefer (showed in netstat -nr.  If my IP is
x.x.x.234, the router is x.x.x.1 ).  I tried several time to have the
Internet by killing the dhcpcd client, without success.  In fact, I can
even ping others PC in the same local network of Videotron.

So, I rebooted the openbsd server, and now, I can ping www.google.com
(or other computer on the Internet).  The strange thing is that I have the
the _same_ ip adress and the _same_ router before the reboot.. It happened
three time, and I don't really know why I must reboot... Note that I use
modemcable with the modem Samsung.

So why the reboot is needed to obtain the 'real' connection to the

Eric LeBlanc
UNIX is user friendly.
It's just selective about who its friends are.

Visit your host, monkey.org