Attempting to lock password file ...............

I have just setup my first OpenBSD server and the password file apparently is locked. I have rebooted several times. Root can logon but none of the other users defined can. master.passwd looks okay and passes the check. Am I doomed to a reinstall? How do I find out who has the lock? PS command does not show it. Man pages do not get a hit on locks. I am new to unix also. Using texts: Absolute OpenBSD, Inside Unix, Man pages. I am using the cd OpenBSD version of 3.1 i386 on AMD processor.

Thanks.

Visit your host, monkey.org