Strange USB printer problem

Hi,

I have a problem printing to a USB printer (Brother Laser HL1240) using
OpenBSD 3.6 (i386) on a Compaq Deskpro EN 6350 (PII-350Mhz).

Accessing the port in any way results in "device not configured".  eg,
 lptest 20 10 >/dev/ulpt0
will produce this error.

Looking at dmesg, it seems that the device gets disconnected...
ulpt0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
ulpt0 detached
(this was output immediately after executing the above lptest command)

the device is then discovered again
ulpt0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
ulpt0: Brother Industries product 0x0006, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

The same device works fine on its parallel connection.  We would however like
to get USB printing working as we intend to add a second printer to the
computer at some point.

To the devlopers: Great work on OpenBSD!  I've found it excellent for building
little server appliances which "just work" day in and out and has got an easy
to understand packet filter (and networking generally) which is more than I
can say for linux / iptables.  And of course, it's secure :).

Michael Curtis

Visit your host, monkey.org