Re: Sanitizing /etc/pwd.db for anoncvs

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:14:41 -0600, eric
<eric-list-openbsd-misc_(_at_)_catastrophe_(_dot_)_net> wrote:
> Thanks, apparently I wasn't thinking (it was too damn early!).
>
> You take a BSD style passwd file and simply do a...
>
> $ pwd_mkdb -d `pwd` passwd
>
> To generate the necessary goodies in `pwd`

if `pwd` is your chroot/etc directory and passw is the _absolute_
path to your custom master.passwd-style file, you've only got to
think about the -p and the -s switches. hint: you need either of
them, and thats why you need to run pwd_mkdb two times.
confused? rtfm and pay attention to the -p, -s and -d switches

man pwd_mkdb

outputs 54 lines of rather clear documentation, which is not an
awful lot. if still unsure what to do, backup your
/etc/master.passwd, /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db. in the
unlikely case of screwing up you can always boot into single
user mode and restore them to get your working logins again.

--knitti