quick httpd questions

I'm doing a bit of legwork. I'm trying to remove pieces of security
from httpd through opening it wide up. What kernel options/(u)limit
options/? would I look at tweaking if I wanted a single daemon to be
able to utilize the maximum amount of sockets and resources on a given
machine?

I'm familiar with net.inet.ip{portfirst, portlast, maxqueue} and other
standard kernel options-
However I'm hitting ceilings (read daemon connection rejection
notices) at around 5k connections from a single client. Ram is 256m,
arch i386, 3.6 stable. httpd compiled limit is 5k.  Thanks for the
help-

-Karsten