[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Is information on the number of downloads available?
- To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Re: Is information on the number of downloads available?
- From: Matthias Kilian <kili_(_at_)_outback_(_dot_)_escape_(_dot_)_de>
- Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:26:47 +0100
- Mail-followup-to: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 08:41:11PM +0100, Marco Feenstra wrote:
> Maybe a better count can be created by scanning the internet for active
> OpenBSD systems every so often, maybe www.netcraft.com can be used to
> find the amount of installed OpenBSD systems
Netcraft doesn't differentiate NetBSD from OpenBSD, so you'll have to
estimate the Net/OpenBSD ratio.
Another problem is that you can't estimate the number of installed
systems from the number of running *servers*. Lots of people seem
to use BSD on firewalls and web servers but Linux on the desktop.
And if it comes to bug detection (a topic on which the OP seems to
investigate), desktop usage will lead to a completely other bug
type pattern and detection ratio than web servers and firewalls.
Visit your host, monkey.org