Re: Is information on the number of downloads available?

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:03:56 +0530, Siju George <sgeorge_(_dot_)_ml_(_at_)_gmail_(_dot_)_com> wrote:

> Some time back someone on this mailinglist had asked Theo for creating
> a public archive of dmesg_(_at_)_openbsd
>
> Theo declined because he said that "no one ever got a better promise
> for privacy"

IMHO, the best solution to Theo's concerns would be to send an autoreply
to each new submission to dmesg@ asking the user to respond if they'd
like their dmesg published.

> So the person had asked whether it is possible to create another
> mailing list so that people who are interested can mail their dmesgs
> for public view.
> He wanted it as a reference for hardware supported by OpenBSD in
> addition to the Hardware compatabitlity list on www.openbsd.org
>
> I didn't hear anything about it since.

I asked a similar question, and received about the same non-answer.

> So the dmesgs sent to the dmesg_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org are a secret and I don't
> think you will get them but it may be possible for you to get the
> total no. of dmesgs received for a particular distribution if the
> developers agree. I don't know  I am not sure.

Would it be possible to set up an alternative to dmesg_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
to which users who WANT their dmesg published can submit dmesg
with annotation, for example appending details on the specific
motherboard and cards used (and anecdotes on stability and other details),
with the goal of web publishing these "new" dmesg reports?