Re: OpenBSD as SDSL router replacement?

On 10 Feb 2005, at 16:11, L. V. Lammert wrote:

Well... I'm on an SDSL connection --128kbps up and down-- and my
connection is via PPPoE, which _does_ require authentication.

What you have sounds like IDSL - an ISDSN connected to a DSLAM to obtain
utilization of the entire bandwidth. If it *is* only 128Kbps, it also
could be a plain ISDN line;

Nah. It /is/ an "A"DSL _line_, but throttled at the ISPs server to the symmetric 128/128 speeds -- as I wrote before. I know, because I used it as an ADSL line before and then decided to switch to this cheaper tariff which didn't involve any hardware changes -- I'm still using the same DSL modem and PPPoE.

It may be symetric, but it is definately not an SDSL connection, as
offerred by SDSL vendors in the states. YMMV internationally, of course.

Ah, you see, I'm based in Germany.
So it's of course interesting --and important-- to get the terminology right.

The question is:
Apart from peculiarities specific to just the US national communications market, does the acronym SDSL really simply mean "synchronous digital subscriber line" and as such, could it possibly --in various countries-- pertain to a number of different technologies/offerings, as long as they are digital subscriber lines and symmetrical *OR* --again, internationally, without looking too much at what's a frequent feature of the comms market of any single country-- is the term SDSL really a term of the trade that's defined to specifically refer to a particular technology (which also just so happens to be symmetric and DSL)?

I acknowledge that sometimes super-national terminology just doesn't exist (yet) and terms just mean different things in different countries (which can be a source of confusion).

Thanks and regards,
ropers

----
www.ropersonline.com