Re: Atheros chipset support

On Monday 07 February 2005 09:21, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 06:51:18PM -0600, J Moore wrote:
> > I've seen postings suggesting that atheros support is available only in
> > -current, but I didn't see any of the chipsets listed above as being
> > supported. Bottom line: is this miniPCI card supported, which release,
> > and if "none" any guesses as to when (if ever)?
>
> There is some atheros support in -current but only for the older chipsets,
> a/b/g ones are not yet supported but may be in the hopefully not too
> distant future.

Well, since I also is hunting for a good, fast, wireless NIC (for PCI),
I'm interested in this subject too.

http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html doesn't mention ath anywhere, blue
asterix (*) or not. Not fully implemented? I don't think it would
would had been merged into the tree in that case... I would think
that a major development like that should be better advertised?

At the same time, the man-page [1] in -current for ath doesn't mention
anywhere that the support is experimental or anything overly negative.

However (and this is my point for replying to Jonathan), it does state:

  AR5212-based devices support 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g
  operation with transmit speeds appropriate to each.

and the man-page also lists 17 cards capable of a/b/g operation, which
of four is PCI cards (and I'm looking at buying a Netgear WAG311).

I would very much like an clarification in this matter since
something/someone is in error. If it's me... I apologise.

(It's perhaps no surprise that Jay's card doesn't work - it
doesn't have a clearly supported chipset.)

/Johan

[1] man page for ath
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ath&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html

Visit your host, monkey.org