Re: Gateway question

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:55:00 -0500, Dave Feustel <dfeustel_(_at_)_verizon_(_dot_)_net> wrote:
> I now think my problem is tied to the bridge connecting the two ethernets.
>
> laptop  xl0 <> xl1 desktop xl0 <> multiport switch  <> dsl verizon.net
>
> The reason I think so is that if I plug the laptop directly into the multiport switch
> the laptop dns lookup works no problem (as does dns in the desktop). When the
> laptop is connected to the second ethernet card in my desktop(xl1), it can get an
> ip address from either the dhcpd running on the desktop *or* from verizon.net if
> the desktop dhcpd is not running. But in neither case does dns lookup work for
> the laptop.
>
> The question that now has my attention is "why does dns lookup fail for the laptop
> when the laptop is not connected directly to the switch?"

You know you would get much more effective help if you posted exactly
what you are doing, and you posted config files and output from
ifconfig, etc.

A little further back you say that you tried to run the route command
but you did not say what the arguments to the command were.

You say that you have a bridge running but as far as I can see you
haven't posted any configuration info or ifconfig output or "netstat
-rn" output.  Nor have I seen where you've pinged by IP address, what
you've pinged in addition to mindspring.com, whether you've tried
traceroute, etc.

Greg