Re: Server choices for mailout work

At 05:23 PM 2/3/2005 +0100, knitti wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 22:34:20 +1100, Rod.. Whitworth <listen_(_at_)_witworx_(_dot_)_com> wrote:

> Right now I have been asked to spec up a system designed to deliver an
> urgent message to several thousand
> subscribers in the shortest possible time. Those who get the message
> late are annoyed that others saw it earlier...

I would not think several thousand emails high enough volume to warrent a complicated HA system, .. seems like a decent MTA like PostFix or qMail with current h'w (maybe Opteron) would be more than sufficient?

Seems also that 'Net latency would be a far bigger issue with delivery time than generating emails - fat pipes on the sending end doesn't guarantee unbounded traffic capability all the way to the destination.

        Lee