Re: Please verify these 2 OpenBSD Bugs (FAQ, adduser, login.conf)

Don't worry Mark; I know where you're coming from.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:35:08 +0100 (CET), Otto Moerbeek <otto_(_at_)_drijf_(_dot_)_net> wrote:

> Login group foo [foo]:
> Login group is ``foo''. Invite foo into other groups: guest no
> [no]: wheel
> Login class auth-defaults auth-ftp-defaults daemon default staff
> [default]:
> Enter password []:
> Set the password so that user cannot logon? (y/n) [n]: y

> So not reproduceable on -current.

No, that's the trick right there. You've added user "foo" to login
group "foo" first, then added to wheel. If you rerun this and add
"foo" to login group "wheel" directly, (because you expect that it's
not necessary to create a login group named after the user):

Login group foo [foo]: wheel

Then this *does not* work; you have to go in with root privileges and
do usermod -G.

Yes, I've run into this myself. I don't know whether to call it a bug
or idiosyncracy (from my perspective, anyway; perhaps this is normal
expected Unix behavior to others), so I just keep it in mind and see
if a developer think its something worth "fixing".

Adam
--
"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability in the opponent." -- Sun Tzu

Visit your host, monkey.org