Re: OpenBSD/i386 switches to gcc3

Hello!

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 02:27:36AM +0100, Marc Espie wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 12:16:04AM +0100, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
>> >In particular, note that updating ports from source will fail miserably
>> >on quite a few ports... this is due to libtool not looking in the right
>> >place...

>> Then, out of curiosity, how do you (the OpenBSD developers) create the
>> packages then if not from source/ports?

>Notice I was talking about updating ports ?

Ah, sorry, I didn't get that detail.

>It's quite simple: you have to wipe the old ports before building the
>new ones.  Not the kind of thing you want to do on a production machine...

Ok, earlier it was the only possibility of course, before you did
the fine work on updates. Would it work to rebuild the ports on a
separate build box, after wiping the ports there and upgrading the base
system, and then use those binaries to upgrade (as in pkg_add -r) a
production system or would it even then be recommended to pkg_delete
everything and pkg_add the new binary packages to the production system
too?

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Visit your host, monkey.org