Re: OpenBSD 3.6 - Davicom DM9009 interface issue...

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 01:21:41PM -0600, Ben Morrow wrote:
> Hmmm.. correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those damn compaq's
> require a separate boot disk to get into the bios (assuming the bios
> got erased from the hard drive). If you want to completely erase the
> drive, download the service diskette from the manufacturer who makes
> the drive and use it to write zeros. If that does not work, use a
> great little program called Ranish Partition Manager:

The BIOS is not on the hard drive. The tools that are used by Compaq
to configure the BIOS though can be installed to the HD, booted from
a CD (SmartStart CD's) or from a set of floppies.

> There was something else that just came to mind. Try taking some of
> the PCI cards and physically swapping them around in different pci
> slots. Once inside OpenBSD, try the command:
> dmesg | grep irq
> Look for devices sharing the same irq.

This is not ISA land. Sharing IRQ's with PCI is *NOT* bad.

> Use the service disks to change irqs and such.

Unless you really know what you're doing then do NOT do this.

Come on Alberto, you provided no dmesg and NOTHING to help you
out with. Is this system by chance a MP (multi-processor) system?

There are still some known interrupt routing issues on MP systems
and unfortunately all the fiddling in the world with the BIOS will
not resolve this issue.

// Brad

Visit your host, monkey.org