Re: Fwd: OpenBSD 3.6/x86 external interface problem

I think what he is referring to is quite simple: if you customize your
shit left and right, but in the end can't support it.. don't come
crying to everyone expecting answers. Besides, you have yet to
describe why you even needed to recompile the kernel in the first
place. I think the link provided about sums it up (time to quote a
little):

You really know what you are doing
You really know what you are doing
You really know what you are doing
You really know what you are doing
You really know what you are doing

You will not get a faster system.
You are likely to make a less reliable machine.
--most importantly--
You will not get any support from developers.
Users and developers will laugh at you when you break your system.
Users and developers will laugh at you when you break your system.
Users and developers will laugh at you when you break your system.

Boot with a generic kernel (I presume you were smart enough to save a
backup) and see if this problem continues. If it does, then you have a
legitimate bitch.

I hope you got my drift. I quite thoroughly enjoyed the link he
provided for you. It neither wasted time, nor bandwidfh. It perfectly
describes what's happening here.

-Ben

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:11:24 -0800, Raymond C. Rodgers
<obsd_(_at_)_bbnk_(_dot_)_dhs_(_dot_)_org> wrote:
> At 06:57 AM 12/23/2004, Nick Holland wrote:
> >"Hi, I shot myself in the foot, I'm bleeding all over the place and it
> >hurts, and I can't understand why!"
>
> Well, at least you enjoyed it.
>
> >http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Why
> >
> >I can even see some evidence as to what you may have screwed up, but if
> >I tell you, you might think rolling your own custom kernel and asking
> >for help is an acceptable practice. 8-)
> >
> >I also see some evidence of a couple other another potential issues, but
> >I'd have to do a little research, and I'm not going on a whild goose
> >chase based on a custom kernel.  They may be a problem on your system or
> >with OpenBSD, or they could be from your customizations.
>
> The only things removed from my custom kernel were PCMCIA related; as my
> NICs are both PCI and not PCMCIA, they should be unaffected. The only thing
> your message has done (like this one) is waste time and bandwidth.
>
> Raymond
>

> Raymond C. Rodgers
> Home Page:      http://bbnk.dhs.org/~rrodgers/
>                  http://www.j-a-n.net/