Re: [Fwd: Re: Macppc B&W G3 Open firmware ?]

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 07:55:52PM -0600, Sean Kelley wrote:
> I've had success installing both OpenBSD 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6 on a B&W G3
> with a Sonnet Tempo ATA133 controller.
>
> Here are my notes from the successful install...
>
> I have resolved my problems with getting OpenBSD 3.4 going on my G3
> Blue & White with a Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 PCI Card:
>
> Issues solved:
> * Unable to see the drive from OpenFirmware through the PCI card so
> that ofwboot could be invoked.
> * Unable to autoboot without a prompt for the root drive id
... <snip>

I bought such a controller, and as i changed the Sonnet Tempo against the
Promise PDC20268, i thought, damn a lot of similarities, after the first
boot i get:
pciide1 at pci1 dev 2 function 0 "Promise PDC20269" rev 0x02: DMA,
channel 0 configured tonative-PCI, channel 1 configured to native-PCI
,btw :-).

Is on your Sonnet tempo a Promise chipset too, or anything else. I ask
because i can't get it working with to new Western Digital 40GB drives,
pciide is starting with Ultra-DMA5, then downgrading til Ultra-DMA2 and
mostly after that nothing happend so i have to login via ssh and reboot
the system and sometimes i have to do a reset.

My amount of 80-conductor cables isn't high, so i tried 2 other cables to
no avail.

So how is your controller working?

Veit
--
Veit Waltemath <veitw_(_at_)_portshq_(_dot_)_de>   |     *BSD /
01896 Pulsnitz / Germany            |         / Linux Systems