Re: Creating a rescue disk

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 19:16 -0500, Chris Zakelj wrote:
> That said, I spent something like a month or so trying to get a 486/33
> to effectively firewall my 1500/286 DSL connection, and can honestly
> tell you point-blank that performance sucked, even though I was using
> a pair of 3C509B cards and following Nick's "this is how to squeeze
> every bit out of them" instructions.  Near as we could tell, there
> just isn't enough CPU power to pull the packet off the first
> interface, process it, then send it out the second before one of the
> NICs tosses up another interrupt with another packet ready for
> processing.  You're certainly welcome to try, but unless you've got a
> DX2/DX4 or one of those 486 -> 586 overdrive processors, you'll get
> frustrated by it like I did.

For the record, the only time my Pentium 100 with 32M RAM had any
trouble was when I tried to throw an anonymous remailer on top of
firewalling/routing and Squid. It was simply too much load for the CPU
power and RAM on the box. (The box is nearing end of expected life soon
and will soon be replaced with a Soekris net4801 funds permitting.)

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn_(_at_)_speakeasy_(_dot_)_net>