Re: Soekris NIC - poor performance

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:10:29 -0500, Adam <suck_(_at_)_my-balls_(_dot_)_com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:46:03PM -0800, Sean Hafeez wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:44:11 +0100, Henning Brauer
> > <lists-openbsd_(_at_)_bsws_(_dot_)_de> wrote:
> > > * Sean Hafeez <sah_(_dot_)_list_(_at_)_gmail_(_dot_)_com> [2004-12-15 17:25]:
> > >
> > > bullshit.

> > > 15 years of breaking networks obviously...
> > >

> > I would be happy to put my resume, certs, and education vs. yours. But
> > maybe I should just pull my dick out and get a ruler?
>
> Or you could just stop spreading lies about things you don't understand,
> that would be cool too.  Just because you don't understand something,
> doesn't mean its broken.

Ok, I have great respect for Henning and others on the list but how
has autonegotiation gotten such a bad rap if there aren't some
problems out there?  I work for a large division of GE, we have well
over 100 Cisco 4003s and 4006s deployed, and we seem to have very
bright people managing them.  95% of the machines connecting to those
switches are Dell GX-1s, GX-110s, GX-150s, and GX-270s, 3% are various
Macs, and the rest are assorted hardware.

When a local tech sees a throughput problem when the switch and NIC
are set to autonegotiation he asks the network guys to set the port to
100 full-duplex.  He then changes the NIC of the problem machine to
100 full-duplex and the problem goes away.

This came up in discussion today and having read several of these
threads on misc recently I tried to get more input from our network
guys to no avail.

We're currently having throughput issues with a group of G5s and I'd
really like to get to the bottom of them.

Greg