Re: how to determine configuration of packages?

This is mostly so I can find the answer again, and ask a slight variation on the question. Thanks for the tips and the pointers to the correct man pages to be reading. They made it possible to actually get the correct configuration installed.

The short answer to my question is that there is no way to do determine the configuration of the package I want to install from the ftp site with pkg_add.

The longer answer is that it is likely that the settings in the Makefile (to be found in the ports collection) were the ones used to build the package (but don't count on it if you really need to be sure).

Further, in trying to install the openldap server from the ports, I discovered that I needed to set the SUBPACKAGE="-server" to get this to build and install (along with the FLAVOR=bdb). This appears to be a bootstrap situation as the docs only made sense after repeated experimentation, and I understand how some of the things work. There is nothing in the openldap branch of the port tree to indicate that only the -client portion will install. Following the example use of the ports tree found at http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html#Example is what lead down this particular blind alley. Now that I KNOW, I can see the clues in the Makefile, but a note in the example that sub packages won't install, or some comment in the port description for openldap that only the client installs by would REALLY have been a time saver. Another example of a tiny piece of useful information gathered at great expense (a.k.a. "experience").

Now, the same question, revised for the new situation -- is there a simple way to find out, say 6 to 12 months from now, what flavours/subpackages I used to build and install the packages? I see the FLAVOR of -bdb has been appended to the -server part of openldap, but what would be visible if I used FLAVORS of sasl and bdb? I *am* keeping a log, but when the client loses that, then I'll need to be able to figure it out to save a lot of thrashing about come upgrade time.

TIA
d.

Jason Sidabras wrote:

Reading the Makefile of the port should have all of the compile options in it.

That's one quick way i can think of.

-Jason

Derek Shaw wrote:

I am wondering if there is a way to determining the configuration options chosen for a particular package.

In particular, I am wanting to use OpenLDAP-server-2.1.30.

I downloaded and installed the package, but it does not appear to support the bdb type (the recommended backend to use with OpenLDAP, according to Carter in "LDAP System Administration" from O'Reilly). Installing package db-4.2.52p1 did not immediately fix the issue (but maybe I just need some symlinks?).

The pkg_info command does not provide much information about this particular package (OpenLDAP).

How can I find out what back ends it does support, and if it does in fact support the bdb v4? Should I write to the maintainer? Googling on the terms produced a reference to information attributed to him, but the information is not applicable in my situation.

Anything else I should know about packages, I would gladly like to hear about.

TIA!

Brian Irvine wrote:

Reading the Makefile in /usr/ports/databases/openldap  I see

FLAVORS=        sasl bdb

So you should be able to get everything you need by doing this

cd /usr/ports/databases/openldap
env FLAVOR=bdb make install

Provided you installed the ports tree.

--Bryan

Daniel Martini wrote:

Hi,

Citing Derek Shaw <derek_(_at_)_bisi_(_dot_)_ca>:

I am wondering if there is a way to determining the configuration options
chosen for a particular package.

Look at the Makefile for the particular package in the ports tree and
read the bsd.port.mk manpage to understand, what the different variables
and targets do.

I downloaded and installed the package, but it does not appear to support the

bdb type (the recommended backend to use with OpenLDAP, according to Carter
in "LDAP System Administration" from O'Reilly).

you need a bdb FLAVORed openldap package. AFAIR it's not available for download at the obsd master ftp site. But
it's no problem to build the package from source:

cd /usr/ports/databases/openldap
env FLAVOR=bdb make install

Should I write to the maintainer?

Not neccessary in this case.

Anything else I should know about packages, I would gladly like to hear
about.

man ports
man packages
man packages-specs
and as already mentioned:
man bsd.port.mk

Regards,
Daniel

-- Derek Shaw BIS Business Information Systems Inc. Victoria, BC. voice: 250-885-2021 fax: 250-386-4060 PGP Public Key ID: 0xD3783198

-- Derek Shaw BIS Business Information Systems Inc. Victoria, BC. voice: 250-885-2021 fax: 250-386-4060 PGP Public Key ID: 0xD3783198

Visit your host, monkey.org