Re: Backwards compatibility.

Amit Roseberger wrote:
> Hi List.
> Simple questions really (although I couldn't find the answer in the FAQ
> page nor anywhere on the site).
> Is OpenBSD version 3.6 fully backwards compatible with version 3.4 or 3.5?
> For example, if I have a certain software that is working on 3.4 - will
> it work on 3.6?

"Fully" is a really big word.  'Specially for a product having a license
which includes the line:
"* THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL
WARRANTIES . . ."  8-)

However, IN GENERAL, the goal is "yes".  With LOTS of qualifiers,
asterisks, etc.  With the lack of details you have provided (fresh
install/upgrade, binary/source, etc.), I can't give a better answer than
that.  99% success doesn't matter if you are the 1%, nor does 99%
failure matter if you are the 1%. :)

Best thing is to find out yourself.  Replicate what you plan to do on
another box, see if YOUR application works the way YOU use it.  If you
are planning an upgrade, load 3.4 on the old box, and upgrade it to 3.6.
 If you are doing a fresh install, do that on your test box.  There is a
difference -- an upgrade will leave old libraries lying around, which
your old app may need.

Nick.
--
http://www.holland-consulting.net