Re: seen in /var/www/logs/access_log

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 03:29:12PM -0600, the unit calling itself J Moore wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 02:57:58PM -0600, the unit calling itself J Moore wrote:
> > I've been monitoring my httpd's access logs (OBSD 3.5):
> > tail -f /var/www/logs/access_log
> >
> > I regularly receive a "SEARCH /" followed by a long string of repeating
> > '\x02+-', followed by a much longer string of '\x90'.
> >
> > I'm fairly sure this is some asshole(s) rattling the lock, but I've also
> > seen a gradual increase in the number of httpd processes as displayed in
> > 'top'.
> >
> > Does anyone know any specifics on this pattern, and/or if there is
> > anything that could/should be done about it?
>
> Whooops! Please disregard - I should've Google'd first, and asked
> questions later.
>
> FWIW: This is the so-called WebDAV exploit against MS' IIS. I found some
> some interesting ways to deal with it by:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=SEARCH+%2F+%5Cx02+%5Cx90&btnG=Search

Sorry to keep following up on my own posts, but here's an idea that
might work  :)  At the least, it will make those of us that pay the tax
burden for Homeland Security feel we're getting a better return on our
investment.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
 RedirectMatch permanent (.*)cmd.exe(.*)$ http://www.dhs.gov
 RedirectMatch permanent (.*)root.exe(.*)$ http://www.dhs.gov