seen in /var/www/logs/access_log

I've been monitoring my httpd's access logs (OBSD 3.5):
tail -f /var/www/logs/access_log

I regularly receive a "SEARCH /" followed by a long string of repeating
'\x02+-', followed by a much longer string of '\x90'.

I'm fairly sure this is some asshole(s) rattling the lock, but I've also
seen a gradual increase in the number of httpd processes as displayed in
'top'.

Does anyone know any specifics on this pattern, and/or if there is
anything that could/should be done about it?

Thnx,
Jay