Re: Fw: Firmware license

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 12:51:56PM -0600, miscbsd wrote:
> It wouldn't be "Intel Pro/Wireless" card, would it?
>
> In "Fw: Firmware License" forwarded to list by Sunny Raspet, (here:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=109882854925400&w=2 ) Intel
> clearly states
>
> "BSD model outlined by you and others is not compatible with the restrictions
> Intel must place on the firmware."
>       ^^^^
>
> and goes on to say that
>
> "The firmware is made of Intel code and code provided by third parties, and
> the license obligations we have to the third party code prevents us from
> releasing the code under a BSD license."
>
> The problem to me, it seems, is not really Intel. It is stuck in the license
> Intel has with the "Third Parties". What I don't understand is, why can't
> Intel have a "chat" with said third parties and convince them to change the
> license? Better yet, give us contact information to that "Third Party" and
> we'll have a chat with them...
>
> Just thoughts, gentlepersons, nothing more.

This is why we have to keep the pressure up on Intel.  Not because we
expect them to release their source to us, but because by NOT HAVING
A DIALOG they are in fact, misunderstanding the request.

The request is not for a BSD-licensed firmware.  Calling it a "BSD
model" or "under a BSD license" is a misunderstanding of what is
being requested.

The OpenBSD team is simply asking for permission to redistribute the
binary firmware image as part of the operating system.

Allow me to quote from the BSD license:
"Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met"...

This is not what anybody is seeking for Intel's firmware.

Instead, the request is for a license that goes something like this
(and Theo probably has better language than I):

"Redistribution and use in binary form without modification are
permitted provided that the following conditions are met"...

--
David Terrell
dbt_(_at_)_meat_(_dot_)_net