Re: setting runlevel to single-user

CONCLUSIONS??

I found a problem on one of our remote servers recently, .. ione of the partitions needs to be fsck'd. I tried to shutdown apache and umount the partition, but cannot (still busy). Nothing else should be using the partition?

It seems like the original point of this discussions is what I need to accomplish - shutdown all services except ssh, umount the partition, run fsck (et al), and restart normal operation. In this case it must be done remotely so a normal SU boot -s is not possible.

What, then, is the conclusion of this discussion? How can one drop to single-user and return to normal operation?

        TIA,

        Lee