Re: setting runlevel to single-user

Not to fan the fire or anything..

If daemons are terminating by themselves and it becomes necessary to restart them via a script or otherwise I would think that someone of reasonable intelligence (ie: able to tie their shoes) should be looking at the system in question.

Granted it'd be nice to be able to have a local data center janitor be able to restart a service if need be.. but maybe some services that are terminating are doing so for a reason that needs a more professional seeing-to.

And it begs asking at this point.. don't some people have little scripts to monitor (and restart?) the important things anyway?

Which springs to mind a funny story.. I knew a guy at an ISP who once wrote an external script that monitors a systems' ssh service and will ssh into the system to restart it (if sshd dies). It took some prodding (not cattle - unfortunately) for him to see the error of his ways.. :)

Greg Thomas wrote:

Adam