Re: question about netstart, hostname.xxx

Matt Van Mater wrote:
> Can I create numerous /etc/hostname.ifname files even if that
> particular interface doesn't exist?  For example I might have a
> hostname.fxp0, hostname.xl0, hostname.rl0, etc.  Will netstart die on
> me if it tries to start an interface that doesn't exist?

Nope, I do this on my laptop...which ever pcmcia card I stick in it is
processed, the rest are just ignored, not even an error message.

Also, if I change the NIC on a machine, I usually leave the old
hostname.* files in place rather than removing or renaming them, just in
case I realize the problem was elsewhere and I want to put the old NIC
back in place.

I won't comment on the rest, because I gotta do something similar for
totally different reasons and haven't got my butt in gear yet (and
darned if I'm going to bust my butt for someone for free when I haven't
done it for money yet! 8-).  But a "shotgun" approach to the NIC IS part
of the task...

Nick.
--
http://www.holland-consulting.net