MySQL install from ports

From: Scott Gerhardt <scott_(_at_)_g-it_(_dot_)_ca>
Date: October 26, 2004 10:45:40 AM GMT-06:00
To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: Fwd: MySQL install from ports

Ok, I managed to get MySQL to install, thanks to Jacob's suggestion below, but the DB_DIR was not created, mysql will not start even when " /usr/local/share/mysql/mysql.server start" is executed manually, and no errors are returned to the console. Do I have to create the DB_DIR manually. I can't seem to find any post install instructions in the ports working directory and I couldn't find any instructions or documentation for the "proper" way to start mysql on boot and stop mysql on shutdown.

I did find this documentation:
http://www.openbsddiary.org/mysql.html
Is this the best way to start mysql?

I came from a FreeBSD background and I assumed that the installation of mysql from ports would be almost the same (i.e. make install clean + enable rc.d startup script). FreeBSD ports install does all the required leg work except enabling the start up scripts for mysql. Does a working installation of mysql on OpenBSD requires a bunch of post install tasks or the port I'm using in an unfinished/broken state?

To reiterate:
- I'm running 3.6 -current; updated src and compiled kernel+system Oct 12.
- Updated ports -current last night.
- Installed mysql mysql-4.0.20p1 this morning using Jacobs suggestion.

pkg_info -a shows:
mysql-client-4.0.20p1 multithreaded SQL database (client)
mysql-server-4.0.20p1 multithreaded SQL database (server)
p5-DBD-mysql-2.9004 MySQL drivers for the Perl DBI
p5-DBI-1.43         unified perl interface for database acces

Thanks,

--
Scott A. Gerhardt, P.Geo.
Gerhardt Information Technologies

That worked!
I never would have figured that out without your help.
Is the Makefile for the port is incorrect?