[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Q: regex, binary characters, vi, and grep
- To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Re: Q: regex, binary characters, vi, and grep
- From: Frank Bax <fbax_(_at_)_sympatico_(_dot_)_ca>
- Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:05:44 -0400
At 05:16 PM 10/18/04, OpenBSD wrote:
2. Grep does not seem to work with \xnn or \\xnn sequences. printf does,
but I can't make grep use them. Even piping into grep was useless. So were
various quotes, escapes, etc. So was egrep.
Add some more backslashes and grep can use printf results. Most of my
questions to this list never get answered; so if a dummy like me can figure
this one out, I don't expect you'll need an example.
3. How can I search for these characters in vi? If there was a way to
search for the string in the buffer, that would work too. If there was
such a way.
man vi (search for ... [hint: 16 binary digits])