Re: Changing the boot screen resolution or font size

Harry Putnam wrote:
q# <eth0_(_at_)_o2_(_dot_)_pl> writes:

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 08:31:24AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

FAQ: <http://cortez/openbsd/faq/faq7.html#80x50> !

Nothing here but a search box, a list of commercial links and
[...]

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#80x50

Well this is a nice pointer to something unrelated to what I asked
about.  I know how to set screen font etc after bootup has occurred.

But as stated in my original post:

I'm finding lots of stuff related to screen res etc after booted but
not about that initial (reverse video?) screen.

How to make the bootup screen have smaller res or using a different font.

I assume that you're using the i386 architecture. OpenBSD uses the VGA text mode provided by your graphics card's BIOS on this architecture (and on alpha on machines with VGA cards, amd64 and cats too). So the resolution is fixed. The only thing that you can change is the font.

I've seen only one BIOS that allows you to select a different resolution for the default text mode, but it is so buggy that booting any OS from a different resolution than the default 800x600pixels/80x25chars based text mode gives strange results with any OS.

If you want to have a different resolution, you need to run X (or to write a console driver for OpenBSD/i386 that runs in graphical mode).
--
Matthieu