Re: many crashes with 3.5-stable, a hardware problem?

On Saturday 09 October 2004 13:07, Ferdinand Hoffmann wrote:
> Greg Wooledge schrieb:
> > Does the kernel always panic?  Or do you sometimes get "sig11" from
> > gcc?  Is it consistent, or intermittent?
>
> the kernel panics always if i compile bigger packages or run the
> mentioned server software.
>
> > You could have bad RAM or a bad motherboard or a bad CPU.  Or it
> > could be a kernel bug.  Good luck....
>
> i don't have physical access to the server is there any way to
> isolate the problem?

Not really.  If you have bad hardware, anything you do could blow
up on you.  You must find someone at the remote site who can do
things for you.  I'd start by getting 'memtest' on a CD and boot with
that and let it run for 12-24 hours.  If things work but then die during
compiles I'd suspect memory first and then related items on the
system board.  Good luck; that can be very frustrating, I know.

--STeve Andre'

Visit your host, monkey.org