Re: probing for presence of floppy disk?

Hi,
Michael Adam wrote,

> On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 02:36:29PM +0200, Markus Kolb wrote:
> > On 08.10.2004 12:59, Michael Adam wrote:
> > >On the i386 architecture, is there a program or a system
> > >call in OpenBSD which allows for cheking if a floppy disk
> > >is inserted into the floppy drive without all the kernel
> > >messages on the console an the long time (like 30s) until
> > >there is any response. At least with fdisk, disklabel and
> > >mount it is this way.
> >
> > I think the floppy drive has no hardware support to check for
> > disks.  So there is no way for any OS to check for disks
> > without trying to read a disk.  So every stuff using the
> > floppy drive tries to read from the drive although there is no
> > disk inserted.  E.g. watch floppy during boot process with
> > enabled boot from floppy option in BIOS preferences.
>
> That is right, but it does not nearly try for 30 seconds,
> rather one or maybe two. A mount command on an empty floppy
> drive on a linux system for instance has no noticable delay
> at all, so it seems to be possible in principle. My question
> was thus whether there it is possible in OpenBSD to probe
> more quickly than the mount command does.
>
> > The error messages could be redirected to /dev/null if
> > you don't want to see them.
>
> As far as I know, the kernel messages (the blue ones!) can
> not be redirected in any way. Pleas correct me if I am
> mistaken.

You can redirect all kernel messages to a non existant serial
line. (man boot.conf)
There is no simple solution to shorten the timeout, I tried it
some time ago on OpenBSD 3.3, but a short test shows me, that
OpenBSD 3.6 behaves the same.

bye
    Waldemar

--
CE94 5F99 BA88 65B1 25B9  8CD1 305A FF6B F8F8 1846
gpg --keyserver x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys F8F81846

*** http://www.openbsd.de/~wbx ***

Visit your host, monkey.org