Re: choosing hardware supplier

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 03:20:27PM -0300, Gustavo Rios wrote:
> I am trying to build my own server. The ideia is to buy the pieces and
> bundle them together. I am seeking 1U/2U/3U/4U rack chassis and
> motherboard (DP and MP amd64 and Intel Xeon).
> I wonder what is your suggest on such device configuration for rock
> solid performance/stability results using OpenBSD.

  You forgot to mention the location you are in.

  In Europe, I'd highly recommend Transtec for hardware you need to rack:
http://www.transtec.de/D/E/index.html

  The prices are very honest especially since the support (in my
experience) is as good as Dell. They sell both entry-level Celeron systems
and high-end opteron servers.

  They won't ship empty racks with pieces, but you can mostly pick every
piece you need in your server and the price won't be a lot higher than if
you assemble them yourself.

  Everything they sell is guaranteed to be 100% compatible with Linux but
everything I've tested so far perfectly works with OpenBSD as well. This is
common hardware.