Re: Sun Hardware

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:26:47PM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 10:36:12AM +1000, Brian McKerr wrote:

> > How much power is that thing consuming ?

> <http://au.sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U2/spec.html>

> 350W fully loaded.  Sunsolve is a wonderful thing for this sort of stuff
> and freely provided.

Yup, but that doesn't tell you much unless you happen to have such a
"fully loaded" system in full action. My U5 has a 200W power supply IIRC,
but when I actually *measured* the power consumption, it was only about
60-70W (U5/333, 384MB, UW-SCSI card, DDS2 tape drive instead of the
CD-ROM and a 80GB EIDE drive) most of the time. I have yet to make the
same measurement on my U10/440 to compare... :-)
I did make a comparison in the past between a SS5/170, a U1/140 and said
U5 - the SS5 came out lowest, though not by much, and the U1 was the
worst by far. Obviously, the choice of drives has a big influence, but
I've also seen effects like "add 128MB and see the consumption rise by
3-5W". Frame buffers are also notorious energy guzzlers...

Cheerio,

Thomas
--
 ****** PLEASE: NO Cc's to me privately, I do read the list - thanks! ******