Re: Multiport NIC

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:53:28 -0400 (EDT)
Ted Unangst <tedu_(_at_)_zeitbombe_(_dot_)_org> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Graeme Lee wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had any experience with the Adaptec 64bit quad ethernet
> > cards?
>
> i have one.  it works.  very few others have them, and i have a report
>
> that it doesn't work for at least one person.  unless you can buy it
> used for cheap, they are outrageously expensive.

I've got a Adaptec 62044 in an Asus P5A motherboard (32 bit PCI slot -
plenty of bandwidth if it's the only device on the PCI bus). Didn't work
in 100mbit in 3.5, but works fine in -current & 3.6. Think I got it on
ebay for 60euro a few years ago. Note that this one is based on the sf
driver, they also have a dc based board.
According to the driver source the starfire ethernet controller isn't to
shabby, and from the performance I get from it I tend to agree.

// nick