Re: migrating from a snapshot to 3.6 and staying there

---- Nick Holland on 2004-09-22 11:11:03:18 CEST (Wednesday): ----
>> (It runs.)
>
> sure.  It's supposed to... :)

That's why we use it, it just runs! ;)

> Here's the problem: Your snapshot you installed was "pretty close to
> release", but then you updated to -current via source.

Had to rebuild a kernel to use RAIDframe, and it didn't come
to my mind then that there should be -rOPENBSD_3_6 already...

> You just took your system past -release.  Within the first couple days
> after the tree unlocked, something like 300 commits were made,
> everything people had been working on durring the lock, everything
> people didn't want to commit late in the release cycle, things people
> wanted to commit EARLY so if they screwed anything up, they'd have lots
> of time to find problems and fix 'em...

Yes, I realize this now.

> And unfortunately, moving "backwards" isn't supported.  It may work, but
> it may blow up on you, too.
>
> My suggestion: reload your machine with that snap and hold there, if
> that is what you want to do.

I will try to checkout the source and ports with -rOPENBSD_3_6,
and then rebuild. Hopefully, it won't bite me.

> More: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Flavors
>
> Nick.

Thanks,
--sdg